Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Jelly Spoon - Daily Painting by Darren Maurer


4" x 10"

I think I may have a problem. I have become obsessed with painting grape jelly as a subject matter. It is the most cool color of purple out there and it is wet and translucent and has reflections of surrounding color showing up in it like a little purple mirror. I don't think people normally think about jelly most of their time. Lately I have been. I'm planning some more jelly paintings in my mind and can't wait to get to them. This painting is a more horizontal format and I think it works great. It was inspired by the painting I did of the butter spreader back in January. I am very happy with the deep dark color in the jelly and the highlights to give it the three dimensional chunky jelly look. This is painting 205 in my Painting A Day Series. Painting Sold

3 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Sedwick Studio said...

It's OK to be obsessed. Just keep telling yourself that. Eventually it will pass and something else will obsess you!

7:09 PM  
Blogger Sharon Bancroft said...

I know the jelly is the real object of your affection here, but the spoon is really beautiful too!
Also, leaving the smear of jelly on the tabletop was a nice choice. Things look more interesting when they're a little messy.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Cara said...

Fantastic painting - and my grandmother would love you - she was a firm believer that you should never use a knife with jelly -

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker