Thursday, January 10, 2008

Butter Spreader- Daily Painting- by Darren Maurer


3 1/2" x 10"

This painting is a commission for someone that has a collection of butter spreaders. I started out working out a composition that was 6x8 and started painting on it. The more I worked, the more I knew it wasn't right. The butter spreader needed to be the star. In the first composition it was competing against several other elements in the painting. There were plates, saucers, coffee cups and the butter spreader all wanting to be the star of the show. I decided to scrap the first painting and start over with a different composition. I chose a horizontal format so the spreader could be the dominant element in the painting. I purposely left only a partial piece of the plate and muffin showing. I liked painting the butter. This is painting 192 in my Painting A Day Series. Commission Sold.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cara said...

This is fantastic - each surface and texture reads perfectly.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Barbara Pask said...

This is amazing. The plate with the pattern and the knife is something else. Great painting.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Darren Maurer said...

Thanks for both of your nice comments. I'm so happy I started this painting over with a different composition.

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker