Friday, January 29, 2010

Hooded Merganser by Darren Maurer

6-1/2" x 11"
I have been working on several commission paintings since my last blog post. I have my commission orders almost caught up and finished.

It is also the time of year when I finish a painting for Iowa's annual duck stamp competition. I decided to paint a hooded merganser this year. The hooded merganser is the smallest of the three merganser species found in North America. Males have a large white crest surrounded by black. They can expand or retract the crest. My painting shows this bird with the crest expanded. The top of the head, neck and back are all black, and the chest, breast and belly are white. Wavy black lines can be seen on the tawny sides and flanks. The hindback, rump and tail are dark brown. The long, narrow, serrated bill is black. The iris is bright yellow and the legs and feet are dull yellow. It is important to design and paint duck stamps as accurately as possible. I have closely studied most species of waterfowl found in North America which helps me a great deal in designing duck stamps. I will ship this painting off to the contest next week and may also include my entry from last year which placed second and then wait and see what happens.

I also had some good news this week! I was approached by an established art gallery in Hawaii to represent me and showcase my work. I have accepted and will begin working on some pieces for them very soon. They would like to start with some of my oil paintings of food items.

4 Comments:

Blogger John Vander Stelt said...

Very nice piece. And congrats on the new gallery in Hawaii. I think you need to deliver the artwork in person! Get out of this cold weather.

5:53 PM  
Blogger Darren Maurer said...

I agree!!!

6:57 PM  
Anonymous Mark said...

I read somewhere that the food product "Spam" is huge in Hawaii. (Hint Hint) And good luck with the Iowa stamp. Its a great duck.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Carla said...

Very lovely. You have a very interest pieces.

7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker