Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Common Goldeneyes - by Darren Maurer

24" x 30"
As some people that follow my work already know, I have been fortunate enough to win three Iowa Duck Stamp competitions since 2001 and was also named Iowa Ducks Unlimited Artist of the Year in 2007. I am proud to have these accomplishments on my resume, although along with winning such contests comes the assumption by some collectors that I am strictly a wildlife or duck painter. I do like to portray scenes with waterfowl as the subject matter but I also paint so much more. I didn't ever want to put myself into a box limiting what my subject matter and work becomes. Challenging yourself as an artist helps to expand your talent. With all that, I am posting my latest waterfowl work and I am happy with my finished product.

This painting is one I recently finished (just tonight). It has one of my favorite waterfowl species as the subject. These are male Common Goldeneyes. Goldeneyes are hearty ducks only migrating far enough south the find open water. As long as open water and food are available they will stay throughout the winter. Iowa has several of these ducks that never go any further south.I love this scene of seven drake (or male) Goldeneyes moving through open water along the edge of an ice sheet. These ducks forage underwater feeding on crustaceans, aquatic insects and mullusks. They are obviously named for their yellow golden eye color. Adult mature males have dark heads with a greenish gloss, a circular white patch beneath the eye, dark backs with a white neck and belly. The white on mature males is a very strong stark white. I worked on the water longer than I did the ducks. The contrast of the white bodies of the birds against the darker water makes this painting for me. Painting not available at this time (to be continued....)

1 Comments:

Blogger John Vander Stelt said...

Great work Darren. Your water is beautiful...well, it's all beautiful, but the water really jumped out at me today.

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker