Friday, December 05, 2008

Popcorn - Daily Painting by Darren Maurer

6" x 10"
My mother would sometimes surprise everyone with popcorn when I was growing up in Grand Island, Nebraska. We didn't know what a microwave oven was yet and pre-bagged microwave popcorn was science fiction at the time. Most often she would start the process unannounced without asking anybody if we wanted popcorn. She would get our popcorn popper, pour in some oil ,dump in some popcorn and begin to heat it until the first kernel popped. The popcorn popper was the only one I ever remembered having and it was missing one of it's legs. We used the wooden handle of an old butcher knife to prop up the side of the popper that was missing the leg. It never took me very long to smell the popcorn from anywhere in the house and would make my way to the kitchen. While the oil was heating she melted butter in a small pan and would pour the warm melted butter over the freshly popped corn and lightly salt it. It was always a big time treat for me and not knowing about it beforehand made it extra special. I have been wanting to finish a painting of popcorn for awhile now and leave it to me to complicate the matter as much as possible. Once again there is not only lighting contrast in this painting but also the contrast of loose style painting with a tighter style for the box. This is painting 255 in my Painting A Day Series. Painting Sold.

3 Comments:

Blogger Helen Read said...

Very nicely done!

6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not only a brilliant choice of subject, but very well done.

Joni

9:39 AM  
Blogger Mary Kay Wilson said...

I really enjoy seeing your work.

Anyway, I'm writing today to say, "Tag, You're It!"

As it was put to me, "Don’t know who started this tag game but it is pretty cool. It's interesting getting the untold stories from some of my favorite artists." As you're one my favorite artist bloggers I have Tagged you. This is a good thing. It helps spread the word about your blog, and you get some pretty entertaining information about other artists.
So here are the rules:

1. Put a link in your posting to the person who tagged you.
2. List 7 unusual things about yourself.
3. Tag 7 other bloggers at the end of your post and comment on their blogs to let them know.

Have fun!

Mary Kay

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker