Sunday, August 10, 2008

Federal Duck Stamp Entry by Darren Maurer

7" x 10"

I wasn't going to paint one of these this year. I wasn't motivated or inspired to design and paint a duck stamp for some reason. Last Thursday night my oldest daughter asked why I wasn't working on a stamp design and I didn't have an answer for her. As I sat in my studio afterwards I thought to myself, "Why aren't you painting an entry into this year's contest?" I didn't have an answer. The deadline was August 15th and I probably still had time to get something finished. I had great reference available and somehow reached down deep and became more focused on creating a winning design than ever before. I started working on this piece last Thursday night and finished it late today. After many hours of work and not a lot of sleep since then I feel like this is one of my better designs. I kept everything very simple and bright and focused on the bird. I am happy with it. It will up to the judges now. I'll FedEx this off to Washington, DC later on this week and keep my fingers crossed.


Blogger johnnie said...

This is stunning!

7:55 AM  
Blogger Susan Carlin said...

Oh YES! I have a feeling your hard work and long hours creating this will be rewarded. Simple and lush and packs a punch!

2:39 AM  
Blogger Helen Read said...

I hope you are rewarded too! This is wonderful!

3:39 PM  
Blogger Y. Liu said...

Wonderful. It looks like the feathers are glowing!

1:55 PM  
Blogger Mona said...


this is a stunning piece and I'm so glad your daughter pumped you up for it! Hope it wins for you.

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker