Wednesday, March 05, 2008

The Cat in the Hat Fish Daily Painting - by Darren Maurer


6" x 8"

I had a speaking engagement scheduled at a local college Monday evening and spent Sunday evening preparing a power point program for it which didn’t leave much time for painting. As a result, I wasn’t able to finish this painting for Theodor Geisel’s birthday, which was March 2nd. Geisel is better known by his pen name, Dr. Seuss. Probably the most famous of his many stories and characters is The Cat in the Hat. The fish in the story is the do-gooder character bad mouthing the cat every chance he gets. After the cat trashes the entire house and then gets it cleaned up just in the nick of time everything ends well. The fish ends up back in the fish bowl and looks very happy at the end of the book. I wanted to paint something else with the book but I wanted the object to have a connection to the story. I was fresh out of Thing Ones and Thing Twos so I decided to paint this fish in a bowl. The fish was a very uncooperative painting subject, moving around in the bowl constantly. I urge everyone that reads this to dig out a copy of The Cat in the Hat and read it. It is still good stuff. This is painting 202 in my Painting A Day Series. Painting Sold.

4 Comments:

Blogger Peter Yesis said...

This is fantastic! Great idea with the fish. I laughed out loud.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Alvin Richard said...

Great stuff! Beautiful light in the fish bowl. Whimsical and fun!

6:08 PM  
Blogger Carol Marine said...

Ha! Love this one, Darren. Lovely water and fish!!!

7:14 AM  
Blogger MaryAnn Cleary said...

Fantastic! I love the light and the fish!

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker