Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Green Eggs and Ham Teddy Bear - Daily Painting by Darren Maurer


5"x7"

Dr. Seuss was my favorite author when I was a kid. I loved the rhyming stories and his illustrations of all different characters and creatures involved in them. When my girls were young I always read a book to them at bedtime. I would try to read the stories at a fairly fast rate and attempt to not get my tongue crossed up. It isn't easy to do. One of our favorite books was "Green Eggs and Ham". I have been thinking about a painting involving one of the books and how to handle the composition. Bedtime usually meant some sort of stuffed animal to sleep with. A teddy bear seemed to be the logical choice. Painting the book and keeping the lettering readable was important to the painting. The drawback to doing that is having the painting look a little bit rendered. I really let the paint brush fly on the teddy bear though. When finished it seemed to have a nice balance between a rendered painting and a loosely painted one. This is painting 191 in my Painting A Day Series. Painting Sold.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You have hit a sentimental chord with many of us in this painting! I love how you have captured the soft, worn fuzziness of the teddy bear and how you have the exact color of the hardcover of the book. As you said - there is balance in this piece...but in so many ways. The bright color of the book with the more neutral colors of the bear, the hard edges of the book with the softness of the bear, and so on. A very nice piece!

6:58 AM  
Blogger Darren Maurer said...

Thank you.

11:15 AM  
Blogger A Reason to Paint said...

What a lovely feel good painting, I am not surprised it sold.

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker