Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Double Portrait by Darren Maurer


36" x 40"

Here is the oil portrait I have been working on for roughly the last two months. It is a couple from Omaha, Nebraska that was involved in business for many years there. I was contacted by an employee of the company back in late April to paint a portrait of the gentleman shown. The grandchildren planned on hanging the portrait of their grandfather in the corporate office in Omaha. They thought about the prospect of the portrait further and decided that they should include their grandmother as well since she was very involved and also a large part of her husband's success.

I could not have done this portrait without the help, coaching and encouragement of one of my good friends, Mick McGinty. Mick is one of the very best artists I know and has extensive experience in painting portraits and capturing the likeness of an individual in paint. I learned a lot from him while painting this piece.

My wife is always amazed that after one of my sometimes lengthy phone conversations with Mick. She will ask, "What did Mick know?" and I look at her with a sort of puzzled look and say something like, "I don't know, we just talked about painting."

"You talked about nothing but painting for forty-five minutes???" This is where I respond, "Uhhhh, yeah."
Commission Painting Sold

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, I can see them breathing! BST

7:51 PM  
Blogger Peter Yesis said...

WOW WOW Oh wow! Congratulations, it is a fantastic portrait. Let me know if you are delivering it to Omaha. If so be sure to stop by.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Cara said...

The painting is wonderful but I'm sure the conversations were priceless.

12:02 PM  
Blogger mary said...

Good job :). I like the hands. Sometimes they are hard to do and many people hide them.

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker