Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Melting Ice Cubes by Darren Maurer


8" x 8"
One of the great things about being a daily painting artist and blogging the work on a consistent basis is being able to continually challenge yourself. I've had this image in my head for awhile now and finally decided to do it. I wanted to use ice cubes that are made with a regular ice cube tray instead of the automatic cube maker kind. They were a challenge due to the transparent and opaque areas within the ice. I am happy with the finished painting because I can feel the ice. I painted this in about a minute and a half before the cubes melted under the hot lights. (Only kidding!!!! I took a photo and worked from that because it would last longer.) This is painting 112 in my Painting A Day Series. Painting Sold

9 Comments:

Blogger Peter Yesis said...

WOW! How cool! You really caught the light , the texture and the puddle. Absolutely great. You are on a roll my man.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Vivienne said...

Ditto with the WOW! You have painted these superbly, Darren.

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get chills all over looking at this!! HA! Well done!! This may rival the lillies as my favorite as far as the artistry goes!!

7:19 PM  
Blogger Larry Seiler said...

tried painting a single ice cube melting once...besides being fun...it was not easy. This is a fantastic job here!!! Well done...

10:47 AM  
Blogger PaintingEachDay said...

ooooh.... Cool ... and I mean it! Excellent!

10:27 PM  
Blogger Alisha K. Ard said...

The details of this work are incredible - the transition area of opaque to transparent with the little glints of light from the internal cracks. Amazing!

7:24 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

What a unique idea for a subject, and you did an excellent job!

1:17 PM  
Blogger Darren Maurer said...

Thanks for the great comments everybody. I like how this one turned out also. I've been gone for a few days hunting fossils. I'm back now and ready to get painting again.

10:48 PM  
Blogger andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

How on earth do you do that???

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker